Life is all about the experiences we have and is influenced by the who, what, when, where, why and how we have these experiences. But all too often, we lose sight of who we are as we struggle to make sense of the world around us and try to work out where we fit in or don’t in some cases. It helps if we can take our awareness inwards and go a little deeper within ourselves and connect with our ‘being’ within, our soul, our pure essence. When we live our lives from this place of inner being, we’re better equipped to deal with the emotional aspect of life and living. And, as a result, we get to experience the fullness of life.
‘One who lets his inner light shine cannot avoid its warmth.’Matshona Dhliwayo
To truly experience life is to live it in accordance with our own internal guidance and not someone else’s perception of how life should be. Everything we experience in life is subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is based on our beliefs. Our beliefs help us make sense of the world. They influence our perceptions, and while they may be based on our ‘truths’, they’re not always based on accurate facts.
As our mind fuels our ego, our ego’s experience of life will be very different to our soul’s experience, which is heart centred and links to the greater power that guides us. Genetic factors and environmental triggers will also impact significantly how we experience life. However, it’s by connecting inwards to our inner light that we find true solace; this is where we can self-regulate as we find inner comfort or consolation in times of distress or sadness.
‘Heart coherence begins with the steady, coherent drumbeat of the heart through cultivating, practising, and sustaining elevated emotions including gratitude, appreciation, thankfulness, inspiration, freedom, kindness, selflessness, compassion, love, and joy.’Dr. Joe Dispenza, neuroscientist
The heart sends signals to the brain more than the brain does to the heart. Every time the heart contracts it creates a wave which pumps blood through the body. The brain responds instantly to the signals from the heart by producing chemicals and pumping hormones throughout the body. This helps bring into harmony the energetic signals of the various body parts, including the brain.
We can generate a state of coherence by switching to a positive emotional state. When we hold a higher vibration of love, gratitude, care etc., this higher frequency naturally creates heart coherence, where the brain is in full with the natural rhythms of the heart.
When we’re in a state of coherence, virtually no energy is wasted as all systems work together to support our physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well-being.
Moving From Our Head Into Our Heart
‘Combining the simple act of focusing on the heart area while breathing a little slower and deeper helps draw energy away from distressing thoughts and feelings by interrupting our body’s mechanical stress responses.’HeartMath Institute
Being aware of our breath helps take our focus from our head and into our heart space. The HeartMath Institute in America recommends we do the following exercise to help neutralise emotional reactions at the moment and to enable us to go deeper within.
- Focus your attention on the area of the heart. Placing your hand on the chest area helps bring more focus to the heart area.
- Close your eyes; this helps you go deeper within.
- Breathe a little slower and deeper than usual. Find an easy rhythm that’s comfortable.
- Imagine your breath is flowing in and out of your heart or chest area.
- Imagine your breath slowly going into your heart, swirling around and flowing out again.
This is a wonderful way to combat stress and take charge of your emotions.
Stepping Into Your Light
‘Stepping into the light is a powerful metaphor for consciousness.’Dr. Antonio Damasio, neuroscientist
Our consciousness refers to our conscious experiences. By this I mean our individual awareness of our internal thoughts, feelings, sensations and memories.
It helps if we can take our focus inwards onto our light within as this raises our energy frequency. And ‘stepping into our light‘ is a wonderful way to do this.
To do this you need to:
- Take your focus to your heart centre in the middle of your chest.
- Imagine light in your heart centre.
- Take your focus inward by imagining yourself stepping into this light within.
- Get a sense of whatever positive emotion flows through you as you stand in your light within. It may be a blissful feeling, or a sense of pure love, or even gratitude or joy.
- Experience the moment fully as you resonate with these positive emotions.
Connecting Deep Within
‘You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life but by realising who you are at the deepest level.’Eckhart Tolle
Heart/brain coherence is when you marry a clear intention with a heightened emotion. As you stand in your light within, continue with your easy rhythm of breathing. Then imagine with every breath you take that you are/can:
- Feel your positive emotion reverberating throughout your body.
- Witness your light growing and expanding.
- Feel your energy as it’s being recharged in light.
- Sense as you become more settled in your light within.
- Imagine with every breath that you are fully rested and supported in this inner light.
- Get a sense of the comfort and strength you feel from deep within.
If your mind wanders, that’s okay, simply take your focus back to your breath and to the light within, and experience the positive emotion once more.
Acknowledge that you are held and supported in life and give thanks.
The Law Of Attraction
According to the Law of Attraction, the cosmos brings to us whatever it is we resonate with. When we resonate with ourselves at the deepest level of our being, life becomes rich and fulfilling.